PCI-6143 voltages needed
rubyuser
2008-07-16 21:10:08 UTC
We are trying to make this card (selected by an outside vendor who also provided software) run in an industrial computer that may or may not have the required PCI bus voltages provided.XP's device manager and MAX both see the card but the custom application is not reporting Card Ready.  As suggested by KB article 3dkf8p33, we measured the voltage on the RTSI_OSC line, and got 5.06V at all times (before, during, and after booting).  Is 5V OK for the PCI-6143 (is it not only undamaged, but also functional with 5V)?  The KB article doesn't say what the effect is if there is no -12V line present.  Will the card appear to work?  Will it work OK?If there is a problem that rules out this card, is there another PCI bus card, or perhaps one using USB, that offers comparable functionality (simultaneous sampling, multifunction, 5V signal levels)?  Thanks.
Chris_K_
2008-07-17 23:10:07 UTC
Hi Rubyuser

The knowledge base that you referenced stated that both S-series and M-series need all three voltage rails or else they will not work correctly.  The card you are using is an S-series device (61xx) so it need all three voltage rails to function properly.  Since you are using a non-standard PCI bus we can?t guarantee that the cards will work, thus if you are missing any of the voltages, I don?t expect the card to function at all.

As for alternate solutions, we have a few c-Series modules that are simultaneous and can be used in either a CompaceDAQ (cDAQ) chassis, or in a USB sleeve, that should meet the requirements that you stated, assuming the USB ports on the industrial computer are standard.

Also if you use the cDAQ chassis, you will be able to combine modules to allow for the ?multifunction? you are looking for.  For instance you can have a AI, AO, DIO? in the same chassis to cover all those areas.

Have a look at the following <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C663EAD906B2B349862572E50065E1A6?OpenDocument" target="_blank"> link </a> for more information on the cDAQ chassis and modules.&nbsp;

Note only a few of them are simultaneous.

&nbsp;Chris_K