usb 9219 excitation voltage
loupy_e
2008-07-15 20:40:09 UTC
Hello all,

Does anyone know how I can use my USB-9219 to send a voltage in the form of a user specified function? I am looking to use typical functions such as step, square wave, triangle wave and/or sin wave. the square and step are the most important. The range would be +/- 5V.

I have tried signal express but i keep getting errors when I try to send an excitation signal (both analog or digital).

Thank you in advance,

-Lou
Wallace_F
2008-07-16 21:40:12 UTC
Hi Lou,
What is the error message that you are getting when you try to generate your +/- 5V signal on your USB-9219?  Is there an error code associated with it?
Best wishes,
Wallace F.
loupy_e
2008-07-16 21:40:13 UTC
Wallace,
When I try to set up one of my channels to be used for excitation Volatge, I usually try to use Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) to "create task" under the "Dev1" tree on the LHS of the screen. I click generate signal and I get "no supported devices found". I was told by the saleman that the 9219 was capable of excitation voltage and it is listed as I/O so I imagine it is capable of sending outputs as well as obtaining inputs... Am I incorrect... or Am i just proceeding incorrectly?

Thank you!

-Lou
Wallace_F
2008-07-17 15:40:12 UTC
Hello Lou,
I checked out a USB-9219 today with the intention of trying to follow the procedure you described for generating your excitation signal.  When I tried to create an voltage output task for the device in MAX, the device was not listed in the supported devices.  This is because the USB-9219 is a 4 channel universal analog input module, and therefore, cannot be used to generate a signal. Do you have any other DAQ devices that you could use to generate the excitation signal you need? If not, I would be happy to assist you in finding the device that is right for you.
Best wishes,
Wallace F.
balki
2008-07-17 16:40:09 UTC
The excitation current the NI salesperson was referring to is a small (~2mA) current used to excite a sensor, usually for strain or microphone (IEPE) measurements.   These are both to excite the sensor to read back a voltage from the sensor, not to generate an analog output in the traditional sense.  If you need analog output in a C Series form factor I suggest the 9263 or 9265.