Can the computer process 48kS/s sampling rate of the NI 6009 ?
3333
2008-07-31 14:10:10 UTC

Here is my setup that i am going to be using, i want to measure the current consumption by a device by using a DAQ. So my first question is, i am not quite sure if the DAQ can be used to measure voltage ???
The sampling rate of the NI 6009 is 48000 Samples/second which means it would take 48000 samples per second to give me a single voltage reading? Even if it does this as this super speed, will it be able to process it at that rate by sending it to the PC ??? As in, does it have some kind of buffer??? Do the drivers of this device support that?

The reason i am asking this is because i also have an option of using an Agilent Power supply which has a sampling rate of 40,960 Samples per second. ( it has a sampling rate of 15.6 micro seconds and sampling points of 2048; and to fill up these 2048 points it takes 32 milli seconds and a command processing overhead time is about 20milli seconds = so a total of 50 milli seconds per measurement).

So i need to compare the 2 and see which one would be a better option.

Could someone plzzz help me out on this.

I am really bad with hardware stuff :(

Thanks!!!
Dennis Knutson
2008-07-31 14:40:22 UTC
If you take 48000 samples per second, that means just that. Each sample is a single reading. And yes, it will transfer that many samples to the pc each and every second if you so desire. This sample rate is at the low end of what is possible with a DAQ board.
Yes, it has a buffer and the creation of the buffer is automatic in most cases. You just specify sample rate and how many samples you want.
The device only measures voltage so in order to measure current, you measure the voltage across a known resistor. The scaling can be done by the driver so all of the measurement values can be returned as amps.
3333
2008-07-31 15:10:16 UTC
Oh Okay !!!......Thanks for your help !!!.....
So then inorder to use this, i need to program it.
Thank you.