cRIO 9211 with NI-RIO 2.4
plessnick
2008-02-19 20:40:17 UTC
Hello,

I need to acquire temperature using a cRIO 9211 module.

Does anybody knows how it is working with NI-RIO 2.4 in calibrated mode?  Is the temperature read from a channel takes into account the autozero and CJC?  What are the units of autozero and CJC IO nodes in this mode?

Also, I've installed NI-RIO 2.4 on my computer and when trying to update my cRIO, I have the choice of NI-RIO 2.4 under LabVIEW 8.2 and 8.5.1 but only NI-RIO 2.3.1 is listed under LabVIEW 8.5.  Is it the normal behavior?  Should I wait for LabVIEW 8.5.1 to use it?

Regards,

Patrick Lessnick
plessnick
2008-02-20 13:40:19 UTC
Hi Basset,
I think I was expecting too much from the calibrated data.  I was expecting to specify my thermocouple type and read back a temperature in celsius.
As for the image, It would be hard as someone is doing test on the cRIO right now.  However, I didn't have the possibility to install NI RIO 2.4 with LabVIEW 8.5 in MAX when doing a add/remove software on the cRIO.  Here was the visible choices.
LabVIEW 8.5.1     NI-RIO 2.4
LabVIEW 8.5     NI-RIO 2.3.1 (Installed)
LabVIEW 8.2     NI-RIO 2.4
Maybe I have to remove NI-RIO 2.3.1 from the target before seing NI-RIO 2.4 under LabVIEW 8.5.  I will try it this afternoon.

Patrick
Bassett Hound
2008-02-20 15:40:11 UTC
Ah, I think I might understand, the
LabVIEW 8.5     NI-RIO 2.3.1 (Installed)
Is really just telling you what is currently installed on the controller.  NI RIO 2.4 ships with RT 8.5.1 install support so its the Recommended Software Stacks are saying you can install this version.  LabVIEW Real-Time is developed so that LV 8.5 will be compatible with 8.5.1 installed on the controller. So you'll be fine with installing RIO 2.4 with 8.5.1 even though you only have LabVIEW Real-Time 8.5 on your system.  When you do get the chance to install LabVIEW RT 8.5.1 I would suggest doing so if possible.
Your correct that the Calibrated IO nodes do not return Temperature units&nbsp;at this time.&nbsp; This is mainly due to the large number of Thermocouples and math that would be&nbsp;needed to support them all would&nbsp;use&nbsp;a substantial portion of the FPGA fabric that not every user would need.&nbsp; However,&nbsp; I don't think it would be real hard to just duplicate the equations used on the host,&nbsp;although it does&nbsp;involve many multiplications, natural logs, and some power calcs.&nbsp; So, currently&nbsp;you would need to use the <a href="https://lumen.ni.com/nicif/us/nilabsfixpntlib/content.xhtml" target="_blank">NI Labs FXP library </a>to implement this with any ease.
As always, if you do create one and want to share it with the class feel free to post it to the <a href="http://decibel.ni.com/content/community/zone" target="_blank">Community</a> or the <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4799" target="_blank">FPGA IPnet</a>
Bassett Hound
jkurtw
2008-08-14 20:40:11 UTC
Hey Patrick,&nbsp;You might want to check out the new LabVIEW Real-Time 8.6 features for programming CompactRIO. It will allow you to get degrees Celsius from your 9211 directly in LabVIEW Real-Time without programming the FPGA.&nbsp;<a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7338" target="_blank">Using NI CompactRIO Scan Mode with NI LabVIEW Software</a> &nbsp;-Kurt