Can the NI6229 analog input channels output anything?
Steve Block
2008-06-30 23:40:08 UTC
I know the answer is probably no, but I'm asking anyway because if there is a way to have the analog input channels output a voltage it would make selftest simpler.
Chris R.
2008-07-01 15:40:13 UTC
No, they can't output anything, but they can measure internal channels, such as the board's analog outputs and calibration reference if that helps with your self-test. Chris
Steve Block
2008-07-01 15:40:13 UTC
I wanted to test the presence connections in my test box without having to wire or jumper anything else. I was wondering if there was a way to internally route a signal to the pin so the pin could temporarily be used as an output.
Brooks_C
2008-07-02 14:40:15 UTC
Hello Steve,

In order to do this you will need to change your wiring externally.&nbsp; While you can <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CB86B3B174763C3E86256FFD007A2511?OpenDocument" target="_blank">route signals internally</a> this doesn't make them available on the external pins.
&nbsp;
I hope this helps and have a great weekend!

Brooks_C
2008-07-01 15:40:13 UTC
Hello Steve,

&nbsp;

You are correct; the analog input channels on the NI 6229 cannot output a voltage.&nbsp; However it sounds like what you're trying to do is a self test.&nbsp; If you are wanting to route the 6229's analog output channels to an analog input channel to read back the output then this is something that you can do internally.

&nbsp;

If you just want to test the card you can use the <a href="http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/566/lang/en" target="_blank"> DAQ Diagnostic Utility</a>.&nbsp; This utility internally routes signals to make sure the card is functioning correctly.

&nbsp;

If you want to view the output then you can&nbsp;use the test panels in the Measurement and Automation Explorer to do so.

&nbsp;

1.&nbsp; Open the Measurement and Automation Explorer.

3.&nbsp; Right click on the PCI-6229 and select Test Panels.

4.&nbsp; Click on the analog output tab, configure a sine wave output on ao0 and click start.

5.&nbsp; Go to the analog input tab and select DevX\_ao0_vs_aognd, set the sampling mode to continuous, the rate to be large enough to sample your sine wave and the samples to read to be 10% of the rate.

&nbsp;

This will allow you to read back the analog output values without connecting any wires externally.&nbsp; I hope this helps, and if this isn't what you're looking to do it may be helpful if you can provide some more information about what you're trying to do.

&nbsp;

Cheers,